Saturday, September 6, 2008

Chelsea

There are times in your life, or at least in mine, when you contemplate the naming of your children. While writing the previous post I was reminded of this.

When we named DS, we had a girl's name picked out. We didn't know the gender, but figured it would be either a boy or a girl. Great insight, huh? But could not agree on a boy's name. DH didn't want a child named after him and he didn't like any names I suggested. Towards the end of my pregnancy, we were still debating on boy names for our child. While we were watching Tim Allen in "Jungle to Jungle", I was struck with DS's name. One of the boy's name on the show was the perfect name for our little boy. So we had it the day of his birth and have not regretted the name once in his eight years. The only thing is that people want to shorten it, but that's his decision when he moves out!!

With DD, it was a little more complicated. We knew we were having a girl and still debated on names. Several people asked why we didn't just name her Stephaine, which would have been DS's name had he been a girl. My response was, this one isn't a Stephanie. We struggled with this until we (HA, I) were in the delivery room. As I was in labor, DH pressured me for a name. I picked the name that I liked the best and decided that I could change it when I actually filled out the birth certificate the next day when I was relaxed and didn't have the pressure of birth on me. (No pun intended!)

After 6 years and countless callings of said name, I think I was mistaken. Let me explain!

One of DH's favorite comedies is "Carpool" with Tom Arnold and David Paymer. I have to admit I also like this film. It's fun and boy I wish I could drive crazy like that sometimes. I don't think it was ever a box office hit because when asked, most people have not seen this movie. I almost always feel compelled to explain it to them.

In the movie there is a little girl by the name of Chelsea. She moves at a snails pace and when picked up and carried, asks to slow down because the movement is making her sick. One of the best lines in the movie is: Chelsea "Can I just stay in the car. That way I don't have to waste time getting back in?" This is soooooo DD. The movies didn't fail us with DS, why did temp fate and not name DD after a fictional character.

In the clip below, pay attention to the little girl in the black and white. It's DD to a tee.

5 comments:

Sitting In Silence said...

LMAO...That's my DD name...True...I named her from a little girl that we met when we were in LA....

I was going to call her Claudia...I think she looks more like a Claudia then a Chelsea at times...

How funny when I saw the heading on your post xoxox

Aimee said...

These days we call her Chelsea when she is being particularly slow. She gets SO mad at us. I'll have to show her a pic of your daughter so she's not so offended.

Anonymous said...

OMG, is that little girl played by one of the Olsen twins? If so, maybe DD will at least have a wealthy future!!

Rachel and Steve said...

Hi Aimee,
Thanks for saying hello on my blog. I remeber when DD was born. Wasn't that just like yesterday? Keep in touch!

tz said...

If I had a girl her name would have been sophie...

anyhow, I have never ever seen that movie..it looks like the kids would have fun watching it, must netflix it..