Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Is there actually a contest for "Worst Mother of the Year"?

I know we can all claim the title of "Worst Mother of the Year". Okay, maybe not ALL of us, but I've read your posts!!! However, I think I have this one tied up with a Blue Ribbon.

Every year (so far) the children have chosen what they want to do on their birthday. Normally we go out to eat with my parents and it ends at that. Then on a separate day, we have done parties with friends. Yes, over the years, this may have set us back, but I think that kids need to feel special when it is their birthday. This year DS decided that he wanted to go to Movie Tavern for his birthday with my parents and he had a party at Amazing Jakes.

DD has been so defiant recently that she has lost the party, but had earned back dinner. She also wanted to go to the Movie Tavern, but the only thing playing that would be remotely appropriate for a 7 year old was "Paul Blart: Mall Cop". Although boy humor is right up DD's alley, I really wasn't in the mood for it.

I convinced DD to dinner with my parents and to a regular movie. She chose this option when I told her I would rent "Mall Cop" when it was released on DVD.

The movie we went to see was "Coraline". As I was watching the opening credits, I had the horrifying realization that this was a Tim Burton movie. I was never thrilled with "Nightmare Before Christmas", but to each their own. For a 7 year old, it is, by my standards, inappropriate. Needless to say, DD was frightened for 2/3 of the movie. She will most likely be up for most of the night. And I, convinced her to watch it.

I feel like I have the title all wrapped up. I wonder what I actually get for that!!!

6 comments:

Martha said...

And see, my boys insisted on Mall Cop, and while I cringed, I agreed. I was pleasantly surprised to realize it wasn't that awful. In fact, it was pretty darn good.

So, with this added topping of guilt, yep, the glory is all yours! :)

Sitting In Silence said...

Whoops....xoxo

ganelle said...

Yeah, those movies always creep me out too. I think I'd have nightmares too!

Colleen O said...

I'm having the same Movie Tavern/poor party timing with Ab's birthday - makes me want to postpone it for a month for "Monsters vs Aliens" to come out. At least it would be new.

Pony girl already turned down a much sought after friend for a playdate because the friend wanted to see Corilia - and Ab just said NO!

Pistolmom said...

We all have those kind of Mom days!
Please read and pass these blogs on to everyone you know, especially the Men!
www.mytitleofliberty.blogspot.com
www.freedoms-fight.blogspot.com

Garity said...

I'm not a fan of Tim Burton at all so when Kris took the boys to see Coraline I was sure they would both dislike it...no such luck. I think you are far from the worst mother though!