Sunday, October 7, 2007

Tea for two, two for tea...

Well, Lindsey attended her first "tea". We went to the Brown Palace for afternoon tea today. It was beautiful and so was my daughter. She was polite and kind when spoken to. She sat quietly while waiting for tea and scones.


I wondered where my daughter had gone. I thought maybe she'd been replaced by a pod person. I was soon to discover that that wasn't so. Although she was the epitome of well behaved child and sophistication, we still had some fun.

I knew I was in trouble when we were seated and the hostess said
"You are such a lovely child." and without a moments hesitation, my daughter said, "Why, thank you." At least I have raised her correctly by teaching her some manners.

She tried tea alone, with sugar, and with sugar and cream and decided that she didn't like tea at all, so she had a "Shirley Temple". She was much happier with that to drink. We talked about girlie stuff and were having a great time. Then the scones and pastries came. Of course, she went straight for the chocolate (a girl after my own heart), that resulted in the picture below:

To say the very least, that was the end of the sophistication (for both of us), we giggled like, well, girls the rest of the time. She loved it and talked my ear off. The waitress was so impressed with her that she sent extra chocolate covered strawberries home with her. We had a great time on our "girls tea".

8 comments:

Martha said...

Sounds like a lovely afternoon. And, I'm so proud of you for taking a picture that includes you! If not...I'd have to pull the "motherless daughter" guilt trip on you!!!!! A day as memorable as this simply must be remembered with a photo of BOTH of you! Ya done good...and I"ll save my guilt triping for another day.

Colleen O said...

What a great idea! Was there an occasion?

tz said...

adorable....so if lindsey and isaac got married they'd have a HUGE chocolate cake...i haven't met another kid who can put chocolate away like that kid....

i wonder if my boys would stand it if i took them for a 'tea'...they could always get therapy later????

or maybe i'll borrow one of your girls out there...looks like fun!

Dodi said...

Oh my Gosh! Oh my Gosh! Oh my Gosh!

I LOVE TEA AT THE BROWN TOO! Isn't it wonderful? Oh, lets take our girls when it's all decorated for Christmas!! They've only been a couple of times, and it's been ever so long. The mom's without daughters should come with us. (As well as the mother's with daughters! We could fill the place up!)

A new Tea friend! Who knew?

tz said...

Oh I know I'm going to make the boys gay or totally have to have them in therapy, but can we can we come...i can dress them up in their little blue blazers and french blue shirts...

really it's the only thing a daughterless mom can look forward to at times...

Aimee said...

We can invite all of the daughterless mothers along. Or we can just torture the boys so they know how to act in that sort of setting. I actually saw two fathers with their daughters while we were there on Sunday.

Sitting In Silence said...

What a great idea and such beautiful photo's....
D .

Colleen O said...

so Aimee, did you receive your "stay away" payoff check from the Rockies? We must have gone, 22 games ago, because the news was just saying they've won the last 21!