Friday, June 20, 2008

Now I pronounce thee.....

Way back in Pre-School (3 years ago) DS met a lovely little girl (her name escapes me - it was three years ago) who was very sweet and very quiet. Her parents spoke very little English but were very nice. One day he came home and announced that he had a date.

DS: I have a date.
Me: What date?
DS: Don't you know what a date is?!?!?
Me: YES, it just don't know what you mean.
DS: (in a very disgusted tone) I have a date to get married.
ME: Really, who would that be?
DS: I'm going to marry ______. (still can't remember her name)

I left it at that since my comment would have been that family reunions would be interesting since her family didn't speak much English.

Before the end of the year we had a very brief discussion on how babies get into mommies tummies. I explained that there were eggs in mommies tummies. That was sufficient for an explanation.

After the school year was over we were discussing the little girl and how she might be going to a different school. DS insisted that they would still be getting married.

As I was driving he said very quietly and under his breath, "I sure hope her eggs are good." I about wrecked the car laughing.

*****

Forward one year - DS met a little girl named Caitlin in Kindergarten. She was, and still is, very sweet and cute. She also has a great mom. Things are looking up I thought! He mother - Colleeno - and I hit it off and I met a lot of other great moms at that time.

Towards the end of the year he announced to me that he would be marrying Caitlin. I can deal with this as I love the family and my grandchildren will be tall. Woo hoo!

(Pictures of Caitlin and Andrew are eluding me - check back for picts.)

*****

They remained betrothed through 1st grade. At the end of the year, Colleeno decided that it would be a lot easier to move the children to a different school. They are still in the same house and area, but Caitlin was now to go to a different school. DS was crushed, but I figured he'd get over it.

There was a little girl that had a crush on him at the end of the year, but I didn't promote that one for a lot of reasons.

At the beginning of the second grade DS met another little girl, Victoria. She also is a great and sweet little girl. She gives me hugs and I can always use hugs in my life. Once again I lucked out because her mom and brother are great and I get along well with them. TZ commented that it would be great if DS ended up with either of these girls because my grandchildren will be tall. Victoria and her family are also tall. Woo hoo!









Little did DS know that Caitlin and Victoria are friends. They were in Kindie enrichment together and have play dates periodically now. Andrew was a little concerned when he found out, but not too much. It was not, however, one of the girls that "spilled the beans", it was his good friend (?) Jake Z.

We went over to Colleeno's house for a girl scout leader discussion (sounds important huh?), and this is what I overheard:

CD: "I have to have a discussion with you NOW!"
DS: (meekly) okay

I was giggling about this and thought "Ooooo, son you are in trouble now." Well, he has to figure out how to deal with girls sometime.

I heard snippets of conversation that included "Victoria", "Jake", "breaking-up", "mad", and the like. After the discussion, DS looked okay, so I didn't think that he was too upset. The last thing I heard was "Don't tell ANYONE!" from CD. Of course I couldn't let that go so when we were alone, I asked DS about the conversation. He was reluctant to tell me but did. He told me that Jake had told Caitlin that he was "girl friend/boy friend" with Victoria. But he told her not to worry, she was still his "girlfriend" too. Again, I see a theme with my children. They are both fickle!! Anyway, I mentioned that Tommy was still Caitlin's "boyfriend" and his comment was "That's it, I'm done!". I didn't mean to end a relationship, but thought my son needed full disclosure.

We will see what happens next year since Victoria is changing schools next year. The saga continues...

4 comments:

Martha said...

Oh good...I read this and thought "does she know..." and apparently you know that Andrew will now be in search of a new girlfriend and that both girls will be at the same other school (although different tracks I hear).

I'm so gonna miss that family but I can understand the need for change and to be part of the neighborhood school where they plan to live forever and ever.

I'm guessing you'd be in favor of a culture that arranges marriage? giggle giggle...

Sitting In Silence said...

Beautiful photo's....x

tz said...

hahaha, I'm tellin' you jake and caitlin will never date but they'll be good buds and watch each other's backs...

tz said...

of course they've been playing at buddies since they were one...