Sunday, July 13, 2008

Day 1/2

So after the Baseball Picnic, which was spent with good friends, we headed on our vacation. Driving 1200 miles can be strenuous enough, but spent with a 6 and 8 year old, can also be very challenging. I was prepared for answers to "Are we there yet?" and "How much longer?" (thanks to TZ) but was completely unprepared for DD to ask about 45 minutes into the trip, "How far have we gone?". To which my response was, "About as far as we have driven." Not being happy with that response, she didn't talk to me for another hour or so. I guess I now know the answer to that question as well.

So starts our 2008 vacation. We have never really taken an extended vacation with JUST our immediate family. I am really looking forward to this.

Now having said that, I did try to break DH's fingers today. Literally, not figuratively. And no, not on purpose. He was being a very nice husband and fixing my seat at a rest area. Very long story, so trust me on this. Anyway, I thought he was done and closed my door on his fingers. After a few choice words that made the bikers there blush, he let me look at them. Thankfully they are not broken and we didn't have to start this trip with an Emergency Room run in Kansas (or was it Eastern Colorado - it really doesn't matter, does it?!?!). I guess I'm not as strong as I think - thankfully.

After 10 hours (give or take) in the car, we pull up to the hotel (10:30pm MDT, 11:30pm local time) and DD gives me this cute smile and says "I love Kansas, I want to live here." To which I said, "WHAT?!?!" and so ends the first 1/2 day of our trip. I am so sure that there will be many more great conversations with my children as we refused to bring the Wii. They do have a DVD player and DS has his Nintendo DS, but we have to take baby steps when "unplugging" our children!

3 comments:

Martha said...

Happy Trails to you!
We've not taken any long car trips in a couple years but it sounds like you are off to a great start.

God Bless the person that not only invented the portable DVD player but the car charger AND headphone! :)

Colleen O said...

Oh my - I did that to a boyfriend once. And would I be saying too much if I said, it ruined the mood? Yep.

You must be in Oz, not Kansas. Did DD indicate what was to love about it?

tz said...

um...10 hours in the car and she claims love...what could she have possibly seen?

and i've made that trip once or twice...yikes.