Monday, July 9, 2007

Summertime, Living Easy???

Do I even really want to do this challenge this week??? Sure what the heck I need a good laugh (or cry, whichever).

Tell us how you feel about summer. This summer, a childhood summer, summer traditions, random summer memories, summer sights and smells and sounds.

This summer has started out with a bang. First my braces. These have been complained about enough, so I'll just leave it with; wow, I didn't know what my friends were really going through when they would complain about them. So, sorry to all those I ever made fun of (which were considerable if you ask my mom, my memory is a little different) or tisked for making such a big deal of it. It really is coming back on me tenfold. (What else will I pay for...hmmmmm) Second, Andrew broke is foot. Need I say more. He now has a cast and is the envy of all his friends. I don't quite understand that logic, maybe it's a male thing.

Now for some summer memories:

With growing up in Ohio, the summers were hot and humid. One of the highlights of our evenings was playing hide and seek until all hours of the night. That was when our parents didn't worry because we were with other kids and there was not real threat. We also loved catching lightning bugs. Kids here in Colorado don't have the pleasure of catching and releasing beetles that light up. Well, most of them got away alive anyway.

We never had air conditioning when I was a kid, so summers were spent sitting in front of the fan while watching Guiding Light. Who knew that would start a 20+ year fascination with the show. The days I wasn't watching the soaps, my friends and I would spend the day at the pool. Again, the days when our parents didn't have to worry about us.

There are so many good memories that it's hard to pick just one or a couple. I just rember that there were no cares in the world, we were happy to be out of school for three months. No homework, no parents (of course they all worked) and no worries. Ahhhh, for the good ole' days. (Gee I sound like I'm 90.)

Thought for the day:

I have a theory about the human mind. A brain is a lot like a computer. It will only take so many facts, and then it will go into overload and blow up.

-Erma Bombeck

2 comments:

tz said...

oh my gosh, that's when i started watching guiding light....but haven't seen if for a few years now...are reva and josh still married?

i wanted braces AND a cast when i was younger, got neither.

Colleen O said...

I was going to do hide and seek for my memory too! I was just trying to figure out - did they let us stay out until 10 pm? Because I remember it being DARK. They probably did, since they had the whole summer, not just a few weeks were you don't want to mess their internal clocks.