Saturday, September 29, 2007

This is brought to you by the letter L ...

Lindsey was so excited to be the letter person for the letter L. Why? Because it is the first letter of her name, of course. While reading her book, practicing her letter formation and thinking of what to bring to represent the letter L, Lindsey ran into several challenges.



First, her book was more of a tongue twister for my child with the slight speech impediment. The sentence she had to read was: "Look, said the little lady." Although she did this with no problems, mom was a little tense.

Second, letter formation was better than expected since she has been doing this for a while now. She did, however, had issues with just a line for the lower case letter. Again, this was accomplished perfectly on her letter day.

What to bring was the catch.

Lindsey: Could we bring a lap?
Me: No, it's only there when you sit down. (She didn't find that funny.)
L: A lamp?
M: Nope, too big to hang on the letter wall.
L: A lion?
M: Well, how would you like to hang on a wall (note, no toy lion could be found, only stuffed animals that didn't fit in the baggie)?
L: How about a "little"?
M: A little what?
L: Just a little.
M: What is a "little"?
L: I'm little.
M: Again, would you like to hang on the wall?
L: Not really. How about a "lick"?
M: We can't put a lick on the wall either. How about a leaf?
L: Weeeelllllll, okay, if that's what I need to do.

So the leaves were put into the bag to hang on the wall. The first one was microscopic, so I told her we needed more. I got a harrumph and we went about looking for a snack for the day. We looked high and low and could not find any snack beginning with "L". I pulled out some lollipops and asked if she wanted to take them. I was told that suckers did NOT begin with the letter L. I convinced her that they would be fine as lollipops instead of suckers. I think she thought their feelings would be hurt.

On the big day, she was great, but when asked what she brought for a snack, she said at the top of her lungs, "SUCKERS". While I was laughing quietly to myself, Ms. Greer (bless her) said, "I think that they are lollipops." Lindsey agreed and all had a great time.

She was very proud of herself.

2 comments:

Colleen O said...

Thank goodness you had an expert whos opinion she valued!

ganelle said...

gotta love Ms. Greer!