Sunday, February 10, 2008

School Headaches

I know that I am not the only one to have difficulties with their children in school, but there are some things that frustrate me more than others.

I had a talk with DD’s teacher last week. Not the first time I might add, but not a conversation I wanted to have. Her scores dropped on her DIBELS scoring. She appears to not know her letters.

We had this same problem last year. In Pre-School, I was approached by one of the teachers stating that she had to practice her letters because missed a lot of them. I took her home and quizzed her, she knew the majority of the letters. She missed one or two, but nothing major.

So, being the diligent mom I am, I informally tested her with flash cards again. She got 70 out of 80 right in less than two minutes. I explained this to the teacher, but much to my dismay, DD is in a special reading class. She loves it because she is being singled out and makes her feel special. Oh the woes of having a daughter with no issues with being singled out. Hopefully, the teachers will figure it out and put her back in class.

5 comments:

Martha said...

And yet another update? Oh my Amy...I'm so proud of ya!

Hey, go for it in terms of them offering a little added help. There is so little time and resources available for one on one attention, if it is offered, take it even if she doesn't really need it!

ganelle said...

I feel your pain. #1 is testing at the same level as he did ONE YEAT AGO!!! I'm not sure if it's him, the teacher, or the adjustments we've endured lately. Problem is, I can't exactly do flash cards to figure out what's going on...

Sitting In Silence said...

Welcome back Amy...sorry to hear about the trouble you are having...

Hope it all sorts out for the better soon...

x

Martha said...

I saw the "newbie" today...despite all his trouble, he is rather adorable...and apparently he was calling one of his classmates "Blimpie Head". I teased him "they'll like you more if you use their names".

Colleen O said...

I'm with Martha - let her feel alittle singled out and special - L likes that? ReallY? Who knew! She'll figure out she doesn't want to be there soon enough, and maybe you'll luck out and she'll try the other end of the spectrum - where your little lamb chop would seem a better fit!